In October 18, 2007 the Lviv City Council adopted a resolution establishing the “Award of Stepan Bandera”.
On January 22, 2010, the Day of the Unity of Ukraine, the then-President of Ukraine, Viktor Yushchenko, awarded to Stepan Bandera the title of “Hero of Ukraine” for defending national ideas and battling for an independent Ukrainian state. A grandson of Bandera, also named Stepan, accepted the award that day from the Ukrainian President during the state ceremony to commemorate the “Day of Unity of Ukraine” at the National Opera House of Ukraine in Lviv. Reactions to Bandera’s award vary. The Ukrainian media published dishonoring articles. Neighboring country representatives condemned the award. On February 8, 2010 the European Parliament criticized the decision by then ex-president of Ukraine Yushchenko to award Bandera the title and expressed hope it would be reconsidered.
On March 3, 2010 the Ivano-Frankivsk regional council called on the European Parliament to review the resolution. On April 5, 2010 the Constitutional Court of Ukraine refused to start constitutional proceedings on the constitutionality of the President Yushchenko decree the award was based on. A ruling by the court was submissioned by the Supreme Council of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea on January 20, 2010.
According to the grandson, Stepan Bandera, although the Bandera Family has been officially informed of the Donetsk’s court ruling it still has not been asked by President Yushchenko to return the award.
In January 2011, the presidential press service announced that the award was officially annulled. This was done after a cassation appeals filed against the ruling by Donetsk District Administrative Court was rejected by the Higher Administrative Court of Ukraine on January 12, 2011. Former President, Yushchenko called the annulation “a gross error”.
Statue of Stepan Bandera
Stepan Bandera’s brothers, Oleksandr and Vasyl were both arrested and sent to Auschwitz, a concentration camp south of Krakow. They were allegedly killed by Polish inmates. Andriy Bandera, Stepan’s father was arrested in late May 1941 for harboring an OUN member and transferred to Kiev. On July 8th he was sentenced to death and executed on July 10, 1941. Stepan’s sisters Oksana and Marta-Maria were arrested by the NKVD in 1941 and sent to Gulag in Siberia. Both were released in 1960 without the right to return to Ukraine. Marta-Maria died in Siberia in 1982, and Oksana returned to Ukraine in 1989 where she died in 2004. Bandera’s other sister, Volodymyra, was sentenced to a term in Soviet labour camps from 1946-1956. She returned to Ukraine in 1956.
The fate of Stepan’s brother, Bohdan, is unknown. Some say he was killed by the Gestapo in Mykolayiv in 1943, others say he was killed by the NKVD operatives in 1944.
The territory of Tysmenytsia Ukraine covers approximately 13,900,000 km with a population of 1,465,000 in 15 cities, 24 settlements and 765 villages.
Ivano-Frankivsk (before 1962 - Stanislav) used to be a small village Zabolottya (swampy area) founded in 1437 according to the first references in chronicles. The city appeared in 1662 between the two Bystrytsya Rivers due to the order by a Polish magnate Andrij Pototsky, who had been the owner of these lands since 1660. He named the city Stanislav (in honor of his son), or rather Stanislaviv, which corresponded more to the norms of the Ukrainian language. On March 7, 1662 Stanislav received the status of a city. On August 14, 1663 the Polish king, Jan Kazimir, confirmed that status. Only after Halychyna was conquered by the Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1772 the city’s name sounded in the German manner - Stanislau; hence its name became Stanislav. Some historians, such as T. Zelensky and P. Siredzuk claimed that Stanislav was founded much earlier, as early as 1644. However 1662 has been accepted as the founding year. The Armenian scholar, Sadok Baronch (1814-1892), who was born in this city, once wrote in his work “Monuments of Stanislav”, that the initial intention was to set up a military fortress or a road block against Turkish and Tatar invaders. In 1672 the Stanislav fortress was so strong and well-fortified, that it held back several attacks of the large Turkish forces. The following year Armenian refugees came to Stanislav. Pototsky granted the Armenians the right of self-government. They contributed greatly to the economy of the city by manufacturing leather ware. An Armenian Cathedral was erected by them which at present is a Ukrainian Autocaphalus Orthodox Cathedral. There is also is a Greek Catholic Cathedral, dating back to the 17th century, next to Sheptytsky Maydan (Square). Semi-detached to the Cathedral are housed the premises of the Ivano-Frankivsk Medical Academy, former school of Polish Jesuits. Across the square is a large building. Today it is the Art Gallery which served as a Roman Catholic Church. There is an old and abandoned belfry nearby. Approximately at the same time the Town hall appeared right in the centre of the oldest district of the city (the Market place). The stately Town hall served as the Polish Royal Treasury, prison and nowadays it is the Museum of Regional Studies. The 17th century saw the initiation of “opryshky” (partisan) movement against the Polish nobility which was brutally suppressed by the Polish gentry. Many rebels hid high up in the steep cliffs of the Carpathians with impenetrable forests. The “opryshky” leader, Oleksa Dovbush, was captured by the Poles, taken to jail and later quartered publicly on a scaffold in front of the Town hall. Parts of Oleksa’s body were hung in parts of the region to scare local peasants and quash the Ukrainian national uprising.
After the war, he became the leader of one of the émigré OUN factions known as the OUN-B and remained in charge of its anti-Soviet activities. On October 15, 1959, the Soviet authorities authorized the assassination of Bandera by the KGB in Munich, West Germany. Stepan Bandera collapsed outside of Kreittmaystrasse 7 in Munich and died shortly thereafter. A medical examination established that the cause of death was poison, (cyanide gas).
Although Bandera is associated with the Ukrainian resistance movement that bears his name, he never set foot in today’s Ukraine after 1934. His name came to symbolize the nationalist struggle, partly because his supporters used it to differentiate themselves from other OUN factions and partly because the Soviets used it to suggest that the movement lacked popular support.
Later in his association with Plast, he became a member of the group Chornomortsi (Black Sea Sailors). In 1928, Bandera enrolled in the agronomy program at the Lviv Polytechnical Institute. This was one of the few programs open to Ukrainians at that time. In high school and at the University, Bandera was an active member of a number of political groups with a nationalist agenda. One of the most active of these groups was the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists, the OUN. Because of his determined personality, Stepan Bandera quickly rose through the ranks of these organizations, becoming the chief propaganda officer of the OUN in 1931, the second in command of OUN in Galicia in 1932-33, and the head of the National Executive of the OUN in 1933. For Bandera, an inclusive policy of nation building was important and so he focused on growing support among all classes of Ukrainians in the Western parts of Ukraine. In the early 1930’s, Bandera was very active in finding and developing groups of Ukrainian nationalists in Western and Eastern Ukraine. He expanded the OUN’s network in Western Ukraine, directing it against both Poland and the Soviet Union. To stop expropriations, Bandera turned OUN against the Polish Officials who were directly responsible for anti-Ukrainian policies. Activities included mass campaigns against Polish tobacco and alcohol monopolies and against the denationalization of Ukrainian youth. He was arrested in Lviv in 1934, and tried twice: first, was for involvement in a plot to assassinate the minister of internal affairs, Bronislaw Pideracki, and second at a general trial of OUN executives. He was sentenced to death. The death sentence was commuted to life in prison. He was held in Wronki Prison. In 1938 some of his supporters tried unsuccessfully to break him out of prison. According to various sources, Bandera was freed in September of 1939, either by Ukrainian Jailers after the Polish prison administration left the prison, by Poles or by Germans.
After being released from prison, Bandera moved to Krakow, the capital of Germany’s occupational General Government. On June 30, 1941, after the arrival of Nazi troops in Ukraine, Bandera and the OUN-B declared an independent Ukraine State. Some of the published proclamations of the formation of this state that were in the “Act of Proclamation of Ukrainian Statehood” stated that it “will work closely with the National-Socialist Greater Germany, under the leadership of its leader Adolf Hitler which is forming a new order in Europe and the world”.
On July 5, 1941, Bandera was placed under honorary arrest in Krakow and transferred to Berlin the next day. He was released on July 14 but could not leave Berlin. During July and August of 1941, Bandera and his deputy Yaroslav Stetsko (who was also imprisoned) submitted dozens of proposals for cooperation to different Nazi institutions. The German officials demanded that Bandera stop his armed activities against Meinyks OUN and recall the “Act of June 30, 1941”, but he refused.
After the German troops crossed the Dnieper River in September 1941, Hitler decided there was no need to establish a Ukrainian state. In 1942 German intelligence concluded that Ukrainian nationalists were indifferent to the plight of the Jews and were willing to either kill them or help them, depending on what better served their cause. Several Jews took part in Bandera’s underground movement. When Bandera was in conflict with the Germans, the Ukrainian Insurgent Army under his authority sheltered many Jews and included Jewish fighters and medical personnel.
Ukraine postal stamp. Commemorating
the 100 birthday of Stepan Bandera.
Tysmenytsia Raion is an administrative raion (district) of the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast (province) in western Ukraine. It was created on December 8, 1966 as Ivano-Frankivsk Raion. Since March 28, 1982 the name of raion is Tysmenytsia when the administrative center of it became the “City of Tysmenytsia”.
The raion is located near the eastern border of the Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast. To the north it borders Halych Raion, to the west - Kalusk and Bohorodchany raions, to the south - Kolomyia and Nadvima raions, and to the east - Tlumach Raion with small portion of a oblast demarcation
line with Temopil Oblast. The raion completely surrounds the Ivan-Frankivsk Municipality with numerous villages bordering with it and are part of the city’s infrastructure: Uhryniv, Yamnytsia, Drahomyrchany, Zahvizdya, and others. The administrative center of the raion, Tysmenytsia, is only 11 kilometers (6.8mi) away from the city of Ivano-Frankivsk.
There are 43 general education schools in the raion and one of the best ones in located in Tysmenytsia.
Tysmenytsia Raion is divided into several municipalities (councils)some which are urban, and others are rural. There are two types of urban municipalities: city and settlement (township). Rural municipalities (communes) may consists of a single village or combined into several villages, but most of the rural municipalities, only have one village. The City of Tysmenytsia carries a special status of independent administration within the raion.
Information from the history of the Ivano-Frankivsk Bussiness web-site
Information compiled and written by Elenora Dugosh Goodley
Photos copied from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Information from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Hero of the Ukrainian People
Tysmenytsia Ukraine History
Stepan Bandera was born on January 1, 1909 in the village of Uhryniv Staryi, in the Halush District of Galicia, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now in Western Ukraine. His father Andriy Bandera, was the Greek-Catholic rite parish priest of Uhryniv Staryi. His mother, Myroslava, was also from an established clerical family, the daughter of a Greek-Catholic priest in Ukryniv Staryi. Stepan’s mother died from tuberculosis of the throat in the spring of 1922. Stepan spent his childhood in the home of his parents and grandparents in Ukryniv Staryi. Bandera had three brothers, Oleksandr, Vasyl, and Bohdan, and three sisters, Oksana, Marta-Maria, and Volodymyra. He attended the Fourth Form Grammar school in Stryi, where he participated in sporting activities with the “Sokil Sports Society”. In 1923, at the age of 14, Bandera joined the Ukrainian scout organization “Plast”.
Tysmenytsia Flag Tysmenytsia Coat of Arms
In the 2nd half of the 17th century residents of Stanislav suffered terribly because of Tatar and Turkish raids. In the beginning of the 18th century they were involved in fighting for control between two Polish warring factions - the adherents of the Polish king August the 2nd (backed up by the Russian Tsar, Peter the Great), and supporters of another Polish king Stanislav Leshchinsky (backed up by Swedish king Karl the 12th). The ruler of Stanislav - Yuzef Pototsky - decided to side with the Swedish king. That resulted in the invasion of the city by the army under the leadership of Hetman Senyavsky, who together with Russian military units occupied the fortress twice - in 1709 and in 1712. The city was looted and burned. In 1713 Yuzef Pototsky reconciled with king August and started to rebuild Stanislav. In 1802 the Austrian government bought Stanislav and ordered the destruction of military ramparts. Today some remnants can still be seen on Novhorodska Street. In the 1870-s Stanislav was proclaimed a “free city” and both gates to the city (where Halytska and Nezalezhnosti streets originate) even as late as 1939 had large signs testifying to this fact. Stanislav kept developing despite many fires (1826, 1827 and 1835) and cholera of 1831. At that time Austrian supervisors, Frantsisk Kratter and Kazimir Milbakher, contributed much by rebuilding houses and organizing medical aid for sick people. Kratter is remembered for building the road through the mountains to the Transcarpathian Region. The so-called “Spring of Peoples”, revolutionary events in France and Austro-Hungarian Empire stirred the city of Stanislav also. The Ukrainian population of the city created the County Council as a branch-office of Lviv “Chief Ruska Rada”, at the meetings of which members of this organization were explaining the notion of “constitution”, taught principles of national liberation, etc. In 1877 due to fruitful activities of a gymnazium professor E. Zhelekhivsky a branch-office of “Prosvita” (Enlightenment) was opened. In 1910-1912 its head was Dr. Volodymyr Yanovych, physician by profession and outstanding public figure. In December 1884 the Fraternity of Ukrainian Women was founded. Ukrainian organizations began to bloom - in 1904 a choir society “Boyan”, in 1902 - “Sokil”, in 1911 - “Plast”, members of which reinforced the ranks of Ukrainian Sichovi Striltsi (Rebellion Army) some time later. During World War I residents of Stanislav experienced hard times, since Austrians arrested them for collaboration with Russians, and Russians did the same for collaboration with Austrians. Many Stanislav residents were sent to the concentration camp in Talerhof (Austria), while others were exiled to Siberia. The Russian military administration shut down all the Ukrainian organizations and the time of forced Russification at every Stanislav school and gymnazium began. Few people returned safely home from the Russian and Austrian camps. Meanwhile the Austro-Hungarian monarchy fell in 1918. The West Ukrainian People’s Republic (ZUNR) was proclaimed with the capital Stanislav from December 1918 till May 1919. Ukrainian troops retreated from invading. Polish armed forces who occupied the region started persecuting conscientious Ukrainians. West Ukraine was under Polish domination again for a term of 25 years. In 1939 World War II broke out. In accordance with the secret treaty signed by Stalin and Hitler, Poland was divided between the USSR and Nazi Germany. On September 17th 1939, the Red Army entered Stanislav. On December 4th the city became the centre of the Stanislav Oblast (Region). Soviets started to introduce all kinds of reforms. For instance, gymnasiums were changed into secondary schools and local people were oppressed by the Communist authorities. Olga Terletska, former resident of Stanislav and now an Australian citizen, wrote in her book “To dear Ukraine from abroad”, that people of Stanislav as elsewhere in Ukraine had to stand all night long in a line to buy a loaf of bread, and not always succeeded and were starving. In 1941 the new masters - fascists - changed nothing in the life of the city. They established their “Neue Ordnung” (new order). Yet living conditions for people remained the same, if not worse. The only bright page in the life of Stanislav was the rather rich repertoire of the Stanislav Theatre named after Ivan Franko. It ended in 1943 when Gestapo agents during Y. Barnych’s musical comedy “Sharika” burst into the theatre and arrested every tenth spectator, many of whom they shot later on. Stanislav residents did not sit in idleness. At first they created the Ukrainian National Self Defense, which turned into the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA). Many Stanislav gymnazium students became volunteers of the division “Halychyna”. On July 27th 1944 the Soviet Army liberated Stanislav. Again Stalin’s repressions came back and many people were exiled to Siberia. In 1966 Valentyn Moroz, a progressive professor of Teachers’ Training College was arrested for anti-Soviet propaganda. He was then released and in 1970 arrested for the second time. Finally in 1979 the United States exchanged Moroz for a number of Soviet spies. In 1962, to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the city, Stanislav was renamed Ivano-Frankivsk in honor of one of the greatest Ukrainian writers, poets, journalists and philosophers - Ivan Franko. Now this Precarpathian region is connected with the name of the great man. More than once he came here to rest in the mountains and even recited his well-known poem “Moses”. 1988 opened the era of Gorbachov’s political “thaw”. It was an impact for the Ukrainian national and cultural renaissance. In Ivano-Frankivsk the Society of Ukrainian Language was set up. Its head was poet Stepan Pushyk. In 1991 after Ukraine finally gained its long-awaited independence, blue and yellow flags were hoisted above the Town hall, Oblast Administration and City Council.
Stepan Bandera-A member of Plast in 1923